Wednesday, August 8, 2012

High School Reunion + Great Pinterest Recipes

So a few weeks ago I had my 10 year high school reunion, such a good time.  Facebook definitely makes it easier to keep up with everyone but it was still a great reason to get together, partake in some libations, and dance to a little Kilo-Ali.... :)

With all of our friends in town we started Saturday with amazing brunch at Rosebud in Virginia Highlands.  I definitely recommend this place, not only were they very accomodating but they also take reservations for brunch. Afterwards we had an appointment for Mani/Pedi's at my favorite little Buckhead Nail spot then it was back to my house to get ready. 

Our reunion took place at a great venue in Midtown with a rooftop patio called Shout, you might have heard of it's sister restaurant Twist in Buckhead outside Phipps Plaza Mall. Shout is only a few miles from our home so I had some old high school friends over before hand for a little "pre-party".

Since the reunion tickets included open bar and heavy apps I had a light menu with some munchies from pinterest.


Strawberry Bruschetta from Pinterest:


Strawberry Bruschetta Recipe
  • 1 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • French baguette, sliced on a bias
  • 4 oz. goat cheese
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  • ¼ cup minced basil leaves
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Combine the  strawberries and sugar in a small bowl; toss to combine.  Let the berries macerate for about 30 minutes so that they begin to release their juices.  Spread a thin layer of goat cheese on top of each baguette slice.  Top each slice with spoonfuls of the strawberry mixture.  Drizzle lightly with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Top each slice with the basil leaves and cracked pepper, to taste.


I love a good cheese plate with some vino, we had some blue cheese, brie, and a truffle cheese that was divine.


My tried and true Pinterest Poolside Dip which I blogged about earlier this summer here:


For drinks we had white wines (I don't trust 20 people + Red wine in my house), beer assortment, non alcoholic beverages like Trader Joes's Strawberry Lemonade (amazzzing), and Pinterest's Strawberry Basil Sangria.  


Pinterest Strawberry Basil Sangria Recipe:
  • 1 apple
  • Handful of strawberries
  • 1 ounce of fresh whole basil leaves
  • 1 bottle Chardonnay/white wine *I used white table wine
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 cup of club soda
  • 1 cup of white grape juice
1. Trim and thinly slice the strawberries.
2. Slice and dice the apple into very small bits.
3. Score the basil leaves with a fork. I did this instead of cutting the leaves into strips as I did not want my guests choking on basil while trying to enjoy this drink. Simply just rub the basil leaves gently with a fork in order to release their flavor in the sangria.
4. Layer the fruit, sugar and basil in a large pitcher and let sit for about 10 minutes. This is just to let the sugar absorb the juices from the basil and the fruit. You'll see it turn a bit red.
5. Add the club soda first and then the remaining liquids. Stir well and serve
*Everyone loved this drink, you might want to double or triple the recipe though, I also used a little less sugar than it called for. I think this could easily be made lighter with diet white grape juice and splenda*


For some salty and sweet we had Pinterest M&M cookie pie (which I doubled and cooked in a rectangular baker) and my Aunt Sallie's awesome Sausage balls.  The brownies are gluten free and store mix, not bad but I'll spare you those deets.


Pinterest M&M Cookie Pie:
  • 1cup + 1 tbs  AP Flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup butter softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup M&M's
Preheat oven to 325*
Cream butter and sugar. Add in egg and extract and blend. The combine flour and baking soda- mix until completely incorporated. Fold in the M&M's. Dump into a greased 9.5" pie pan and bake for 25-30 mins. You know the drill, when a toothpick/ridiculously small pairing knife comes out clean it's donzo.

Aunt Sallie's Sausage Balls:
  • 2 cups Bisquick
  • 8 oz. Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 mild Jimmy Dean Sausage
  • 1 hot Jimmy Dean Sausage
Mix bisquick and cheese, then add sausage and a little water.  Mix with hands thoroughly together.
Make into balls. Freeze or cook.  Place on cookie/baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 10-20 minutes.

After a couple hours, a lot of beer (seriously, I about ran out), tons of sausage balls we made our way to the Reunion. 


Fortunately we had a photographer at the Reunion, unfortunately I didn't take many pictures due to this...


Clearly I am very excited about my name tag with our senior pictures...





Anyways, this was a great weekend full of lots of new and old memories, good friends, and good food.  It was also a great motivator to get the house looking good and super clean. My next post will be about my girls weekend in Sea Island, Georgia last weekend and of course I'm finding my way to Scott's Antique and Homegoods this weekend, so I'll repost good finds. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment